Write for us
Improve Sailing is looking for writers for our blog!
I have so much information I want to share and not enough time to write it all, so I've decided that it’s time to bring some writers on board.
How it’ll work
At this point, I'll come up with a headline for the articles that I want written, and I'll give you the freedom to research and write them. For each article, I’ll state about how many words it should be. Then, when you’ve finished writing it, I’ll look it over and when I think it’s ready, I’ll publish it.
For most of our articles, we target about 2,000 words. For these articles, we will pay 3 cents per word which comes out to about $60 for articles that we publish. As you gain experience writing for Improve Sailing you’ll get more flexibility in choosing your own topics and outlining and writing articles as you like. As we move in that direction, your pay will increase.
My experience is you can write a 2,000-word article in about 2 hours - which comes down to $30 / hour. I'll also provide training videos to help you write faster.
What we’re looking for in writers
- We’re not looking to hire full-time employees. We just want to pay you for the articles you write.
- You don’t have to be a professional writer, but I do need people who can use correct English spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- I want people who can commit to writing two to four (2-4) 1,500-word articles per month and do the research that goes into that.
- If you have experience writing for a blog, that’s a plus, but I'm really going to make my decisions based on a sample of your writing.
- Don't worry about how to write articles. I'll train you and give you feedback along the way.
How to apply
Applying is easy, and shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes.
- Fill out the form,
- Create a 400 - 500-word sample for an article,
- Write a 100-word cover letter.
Fill out the form below and attach a .doc or .docx file containing a sample of 4-5 subheadings. Choose any topic that you think is applicable to Improve Sailing.
Hint: try use the same format I use for my articles. Use Google to come up with the subheadings.
Also, please write down a short answer for each subheading. The sample, including answers, should be about 400 - 500 words long. This should take no longer than roughly 20 minutes.
If your sample is good, you can write the full article, which will be published on our website. If it's published, I promise I'll pay you for your work.
Write a short cover letter of around 100 words in which you explain why you want to write for Improve Sailing. I just like to know what people I bring onboard.
Please fill out the application form and attach or provide a link to your sample outline for Improve Sailing. I will only be contacting applicants who I want to follow-up with for the next step of the application process, so I can’t guarantee that you’ll get a response. Either way, thank you for applying to write for us and good luck on your future endeavors!